wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Integration of ngtcp2 and nghttp3 with wget2 (!527)

From: Ander Juaristi (@juaristi)
Subject: Re: wget2 | Integration of ngtcp2 and nghttp3 with wget2 (!527)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:30:43 +0000

Ander Juaristi commented:
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/merge_requests/527#note_1772684364

Hi @rockdaboot

@harshmohan07 and I have been tirelessly working on this during the last
(almost) year! There are yet a couple of things to take care of, but to me,
it's ready to merge.

For now, HTTP/3 will only be used if the user explicitly requests it with
`--http3-only`. At some point we'd need to have some sort of auto-discover, but
we could implement it later. Since libwget was intially written with TCP-only
support and QUIC is UDP, this capability requires some broader changes that
were maybe too much for the scope of this MR.

In addition, there are still a number of things to improve, such as:

 - Improving the debug output, as it's currently too noisy to be usable (I'll
take care of this during the following weeks)
 - Rewriting some `wget_tcp_set_*` setters to `wget_net_set_*`, since many TCP
configuration options (such as timeout) are also applicable to QUIC.
 - A couple of coding style improvements, and technical debt

We also lack a proper testing suite for HTTP/3 as we have for other HTTPs, but
again, it was too much work for this project (we need to write an HTTP/3+QUIC
server from scratch as libmicrohttpd does not support it). @harshmohan07 is
working on that and has currently pushed a preliminary version. I'll help him
finalize if he needs help.

I only need to get the "Debian/WolfSSL" step working. It does not seem to be an
issue with this new code. @rockdaboot Could you please help us with that?
Thanks.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/merge_requests/527#note_1772684364