wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Add Plugin Framework information to the Wiki / Docs (#467)

From: @rockdaboot
Subject: Re: wget2 | Add Plugin Framework information to the Wiki / Docs (#467)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 18:18:49 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented:

> For example I ran bootstrap with no parameters for gnulib and it failed(I
> switched-off my Network to simulate)
>
> jeff@tux:~/test$ ./bootstrap
> ./bootstrap: Bootstrapping from checked-out wget2 sources...
> ./bootstrap: consider installing git-merge-changelog from gnulib
> ./bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
> ./bootstrap: getting translations into po/.reference for wget2...
> wget: unable to resolve host address 'translationproject.org'
>
> So,our worst fear is materialized in this case.

Ah, I think we have to sync on this :-)

No sure why this is bad. This is just the translations which are not maintained
on Gitlab.
An even if they were - we (the developers) have those files already downloaded
and locally available. If they are not available online any more, we can simply
set up a repo containing them (or use a subdir in the wget2 repo).

So let's assume Gitlab is suddenly down forever and the wiki pages are not
available any more. If we still have them on disk from the previous "git pull",
no information is lost. We (the developers) would have a chat and the one with
the latest / current wiki data would push it to the new git hoster of our
choice.

Does this make sense ?

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/467#note_640405908