wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Add FTP & FTPS support (#3)

From: Gus Dunn (@xguse)
Subject: Re: wget2 | Add FTP & FTPS support (#3)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 18:33:58 +0000

Gus Dunn commented:

Using reasoning like this: "since you can do X in wget, we don't need to
support X in wget2", can be used to completely negate the **entire existence**
of your tool can it not? If not entirely then **certainly** the majority of its
functionality.

Let me remind you that one of the main places that important scientific data is
stored is in Universities. University departments where things have been set up
10-20 years ago by people who are not around anymore. The fact that you are
telling me that I should just use `wget` and make my transfer of data I am
using to fight covid variants take 64 times longer (or as many cpus as I can
muster) has a very direct impact on how fast I can make discoveries that save
lives.

Multiply that by the number of people needing to do similar things across life
sciences/geology/etc and this decision has massive results in the speed of
discovery.

Please reconsider this.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/3#note_613312221