wget-dev

Re: libWARC | Identify external libraries required by LibWARC (#5)

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: libWARC | Identify external libraries required by LibWARC (#5)
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 09:07:03 +0000

Darshit Shah commented:

For generation of UUIDs,`libuuid` seems to be fine choice.
Basic SHA1 and base32 digests are obviously handled through gnulib, they make
our life much easier there.

However, I am not convinced about using `zstd` for the compression. Annex D of
the WARC 1.1 specification recommends the use of GZip.
An issue created on the IIPC Github repository for the WARC specification
asking for inclusion of zstd was effectively turned down. Now, I don't
discourage pushing the existing standards to something newer and better. But we
must atleast implement what the standard recommends and then extend it.

Hence, I would prefer that we begin with support for gzip and then add on zstd
as an optional extension. I'm open to other views and suggestions here

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/libwarc/-/issues/5#note_349870649