wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | WIP: Add c-ares support for quickly fill DNS cach

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | WIP: Add c-ares support for quickly fill DNS cache in background (!444)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 15:03:51 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented on a discussion:
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/merge_requests/444#note_208172748

The point is that someone came over with 300 millions of domains. He wanted to
scan the homepages (or whatever). I gave it a try and wondered why my network
bandwidth wasn't fully used. If you increase --max-threads over a certain
limit, you'll run into process/kernel limits. I didn't want to go into kernel
tuning. So with the right settings we are at ~1.500 DNS lookups per second - if
we can reach 5000/s we wouldn't have DNS being a bottleneck.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/merge_requests/444#note_208172748