wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | WIP: Add new option --unknown-mime-type (!441)

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | WIP: Add new option --unknown-mime-type (!441)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 21:57:18 +0000

Darshit Shah commented on a discussion:
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/merge_requests/441#note_207059200

If the `content-type` header does not exist, we should assume it to be binary
data and download it. Here is the relevant section from RFC 7231, section
3.1.1.5:

>  A sender that generates a message containing a payload body SHOULD
>    generate a Content-Type header field in that message unless the
>    intended media type of the enclosed representation is unknown to the
>    sender.  If a Content-Type header field is not present, the recipient
>    MAY either assume a media type of "application/octet-stream"
>    ([RFC2046], Section 4.5.1) or examine the data to determine its type.

So, we _may_ examine the file (maybe heuristic based on filename) or just
assume it to be "application/octet-stream"

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/merge_requests/441#note_207059200