wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | no append .1 after extension please (#404)

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | no append .1 after extension please (#404)
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 17:39:47 +0000

> VMware Linux doesn't damage the extension.

Not sure what you mean !?

> Yeah, it's not old Unix, but we're in 2018 - not 1970.

Exactly ! That's why modern software doesn't rely on 'extensions' but on file
content. Browsers do that - they sniff into a downloaded file to see if it's
HTML and they don't rely on extensions nor on the mime-type (given by the
server).

Relying on the extension would mean that a renaming must be prevented by the
OS. There is no OS enforcing this (how should this even work ?). So the
extension is just some kind of 'reminder' for the human, that a file *likely*
contains what it says.

Apart from that, I don't think that 'we have 2018' nor that 'VMWare doesn't
damag the extension' is a 'hard' technical argument.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/404#note_108549150