wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | no append .1 after extension please (#404)

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | no append .1 after extension please (#404)
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 10:37:57 +0000

@darnir I am with you, we never should overwrite an existing file by default.
There is no discussion about it.

I was always a bit irritated about having a .1, .2, ... appended. But I simply
got used to it over time.

Since extensions also have a meaning to users on *nix, I would also prefer
filename_1.ext instead of filename.ext.1. Of course that is a matter of favor.
But we should find a numbering that is consistent over *nix and Windows. So
filename_1.ext would be my personal choice.

What technical arguments do we have for or against those two options ?

E.g. finding or wildcarding all backups ? `rm filename.ext.*` against `rm
filename_*.ext` ? The first seems to be more precise, the second would easily
catch `filename_info.ext` or similar. And the second makes it pretty hard to
find a wildcard when you have many similar file names in one directory.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/404#note_108521332