wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | no append .1 after extension please (#404)

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | no append .1 after extension please (#404)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 15:26:59 +0000

As far as I can see, Firefox does "Original Filename (1).ext". Which works fine
on both Windows and Linux.

I think Unix users are more used to seeing an incrementing counter at the end
of the complete filename while windows users would expect the filename to
change but not the extension. Personally, I believe we should cater to both
with an `#ifdef` for the platform. Since as you mentioned, Windows users might
even have problems with changing the extension, however for unix users that is
the expected way to go.

Of course, the bug report here is about the default option being to overwrite
an existing file. Which I'm not comfortable with. I think we should by default
err on the side of caution and not have the user lose their data. There should
be an option that allows the user to overwrite the file and users who would
prefer that can add it to the wget2rc config as well.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/404#note_108421559