wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | WIP: Implementation of -I/-X options (!383)

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | WIP: Implementation of -I/-X options (!383)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 11:20:29 +0000

> For developing you won't need max speed... so just put `export CFLAGS="-g"`
> into your .bashrc. After relogin the software you build has debugging symbols
> in it (just start with ./configure again). Valgrind would use those and eject
> much more readable output.

Let me just interject here. First, setting `CFLAGS="-g"` doesn't affect the
speed at all. Only the size of the final binary.
But, more important is the fact that putting this in your `.bashrc` is not very
good advice. Since now, the CFLAGS are overridden and the `-g` flag is set for
all compilations, not just Wget2. Any program you compile on the system will
have the debugging symbols built into it, which inflates the size of the binary
by a large amount.

A better approach would be set the CFLAGS during the configure stage. So that
it is only valid for the current build

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/merge_requests/383#note_96409218