wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | GSoC'18: Support DNS over HTTPS - Discussions (#3

From: Aniketh Girish
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | GSoC'18: Support DNS over HTTPS - Discussions (#378)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 06:54:13 +0000

@rockdaboot ,

Pardon me if I am asking the same question again, but I am just a bit confused
at the concept of using the ns_parserr. As far as I know, when we are using the
ns_parserr, we are parsing the DNS response from the server and retrieve the IP
address right?

What our intended parser should be doing is to parse the response in the HTTP
body response right?

I mean, we should be parsing DOH response rather than the DNS response, isn't
it?

I just verified from the Cloudflare DOH server like this:
https://cloudflare-dns.com/dns-query?dns=AAABAAABAAAAAAAAA3d3dwdleGFtcGxlA2NvbQAAAQAB

it gives some gibbering in the body with the Content-Type:
application/octet-stream. Isn't this what we should be parsing instead of the
DNS response? After sending the DNS packet to the DOH server, I believe we are
left out with DOH response alone.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/378#note_95753019