social-mediagoblin

Re: [Social-mediagoblin] Config branch merged, new server running comman

From: will kahn-greene
Subject: Re: [Social-mediagoblin] Config branch merged, new server running command(s)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:24:01 -0400

I don't understand the difference between "server" and "application" here.

What are "server" and "application" in this context?

On 06/19/2011 04:39 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:

Several things else of note:
  - There are now two config files, server.ini and mediagoblin.ini.
    Configuring the server launching via paste deploy is the former,
    configurating the application is now the latter.
  - You now have access to the config data in
    mediagoblin.mg_globals.global_config (the whole config file)
    mediagoblin.mg_globals.app_config (just the ['mediagoblin'] section)
  - We now have auto-type-conversion, validation, and defaults in the
    config file.  If you are adding new config parameters, you can do so
    in:  mediagoblin/config_spec.ini

  - The application is *much* easier to initialize if you are writing
    code that initializes the application itself.  All you have to do is:

      >>>  from mediagoblin.app import MediaGoblinApp
      >>>  myapp = MediaGoblinApp('path/to/mediagoblin.ini')

    ... the application will handle setting up globals in mg_globals and
    etc for you.

If you have any questions let me know!  Thanks again, Bernard!