social-mediagoblin

[Social-mediagoblin] Config branch merged, new server running command(s)

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: [Social-mediagoblin] Config branch merged, new server running command(s)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:39:25 -0500

Hey all,

tl;dr for the following, you should at least know that there's a new way
to launch commands and you should read the docs, or you can just use
./lazyserver.sh from now on.

I just merged a significant branch into master which separates out the
mediagoblin application config from the server config.  The application
config now uses ConfigObj, which is a very nice, configurable and
extensible library for configuration management.  Thanks to Bernard
Keller for advocating this and proving that this was a good idea.
Though I didn't merge in Bernard's code, it was Bernard's branch which
showed how this *could* be a really good idea.

The codebase is significantly cleaner now, and more on that in a few.
But also, the command for launching the server has changed since the
config has changed.  You can read the Hacking Howto in the docs for
details.  Or, at popular demand, there's a much, much easier way to
launch the server now:

  ./lazyserver.sh

... this command should launch the server for you without the need to
run celeryd, and should work both in buildout and virtualenv
environments.

Several things else of note:
 - There are now two config files, server.ini and mediagoblin.ini.
   Configuring the server launching via paste deploy is the former,
   configurating the application is now the latter.
 - You now have access to the config data in
   mediagoblin.mg_globals.global_config (the whole config file)
   mediagoblin.mg_globals.app_config (just the ['mediagoblin'] section)
 - We now have auto-type-conversion, validation, and defaults in the
   config file.  If you are adding new config parameters, you can do so
   in:  mediagoblin/config_spec.ini

 - The application is *much* easier to initialize if you are writing
   code that initializes the application itself.  All you have to do is:

     >>> from mediagoblin.app import MediaGoblinApp
     >>> myapp = MediaGoblinApp('path/to/mediagoblin.ini')

   ... the application will handle setting up globals in mg_globals and
   etc for you.

If you have any questions let me know!  Thanks again, Bernard!

--
The bottom line.