social-mediagoblin

Re: [Social-mediagoblin] GNU MediaGoblin logo designs and color choices

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [Social-mediagoblin] GNU MediaGoblin logo designs and color choices
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 11:05:32 -0500

So first of all, I like the logo of the eye-in-the-media.  It's fairly
minimalist, and like Deb maybe a more fleshed out version could be
iterated on this, but it also nicely represents the ideas we're trying
to convey I think... we want people to think of both GNU MediaGoblin as
a place for both people who want to display and view media.  This
conveys that.  I'm also happy with the colors.  So looking good.

As for values, here's a list of (semi-vaporous) "values" I think of
while I think of mediagoblin:
 - sharing
 - decentralization
 - production of artistic works
 - viewing of artistic works
 - clean, beautiful but nonintrusive design (originally I felt "cartoony
   design" was the way to go but it's been pointed out to me that, what
   if people want to post photos of a funeral, shouldn't we be able to
   handle that without the theme clashing with the setting?)
 - when you look at a page, the focal point is the work itself, and
   secondarily the communication around and derivatives of the work.
 - we're based on free software
 - we encourage free culture licenses

I don't think that there's a way to say "free software" inside the
design directly, but maybe by focusing on "sharing" and "modification",
maybe we can bridge the world of the artist to the world of free
software.  If we could do that and start getting artists thinking about
free software through this very subtle way, that would be a tremendous
accomplishment.

 - cwebb

--
The bottom line.