social-mediagoblin

[Social-mediagoblin] Media processing libraries

From: Jonas H.
Subject: [Social-mediagoblin] Media processing libraries
Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 15:40:13 +0200

Hi MediaGoblin hackers!

(tl;wr: skip the next two paragraphs)

I did a similar project few months ago (a Django Web site that lets you upload images and videos that are then processed -- thumbnails for images and videos, conversion to other formats for videos) and had the need for Python libraries to do thumbnailing/conversions.

I quickly dropped PIL because it's too limited (doesn't understand lots of formats and creates very ugly thumbnails) and decided to use ImageMagick and FFmpeg.

Because I couldn't find decent ImageMagick/FFmpeg bindings for Python, I wrote some myself. If you ever decide to use FFmpeg for video/image processing, feel free to use these libraries (all BSD licensed):

https://github.com/jonashaag/stupFF -- `ffmpeg` commandline abstraction: nice interface to ffmpeg command line options, proper error handling, abstracts conversions into "Jobs" including progress tracking. Provides two high-level functions to do format conversions and thumbnail generation (from videos).

https://github.com/jonashaag/mediainfo -- `mediainfo` commandline abstraction. MediaInfo is a pretty good media metadata recognition program (the best free one I can find). This is a rather thin wrapper around MediaInfo's unwieldy interface.

https://github.com/jonashaag/thumblib -- very small wrapper around ImageMagick's `convert` command for generating thumbnails from images and adding captions.

If you find any of these useful but need to do modifications, feel free to send patches... :-)

Cheers,
Jonas