sed-devel

Re: proposed features for branching logic + minimal implementation

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: proposed features for branching logic + minimal implementation
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 22:05:30 -0600

Hello,

On 2020-10-06 4:47 p.m., Liam Quinlan wrote:
I would like to propose four related additions to the sed toolbox
(represented below, arbitrarily, as '@', 'k', 'j', and 'J').  In my
opinion, these additions improve sed's usability near one of its
weaknesses (restricted branching logic), and represent a solid value
proposition in light of their minor code change requirements.

Thank you for this suggestion and for providing the code - that's an excellent start.

For any contribution to be incorporated into GNU sed
(or even evaluated / considered), we first ask the contributor to assign copyright of the code to the FSF.

You can read more about it here:
  https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.en.html
  https://www.fsf.org/licensing/assigning.html

To start the process, please fill and send the following form:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/plain/doc/Copyright/request-assign.future

---

Now to the actual patch:
Looks interested, but may I ask for some specific use cases where each short-hand command would be used, and be a clear improvement over the existing commands ?

regards,
 - assaf