sed-devel

sd - Debug Sed

From: Pietro Paolini
Subject: sd - Debug Sed
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 22:12:07 +0100

Hi all,

I've spent a lot of time at the webpage

http://sed.sourceforge.net/#books

but I never actually noticed the tool section and the program called
sd : http://sed.sourceforge.net/grabbag/scripts/sd.sh.txt

I've started to use the script this evening but I cannot get anything
useful out of it - I wonder if I am getting it completely wrong or if
the script has somehow lost track of the most recent sed releases and
it needs some maintenance, consider the following very simple script:

:Xa
s/Hi/Hola/g

I think I am doing the right thing by running the script using the following:

touch Xa
sd.sh -e "sed -f " test.sed

The script starts and prints out some information regarding the
tracing spypoints enabled but the input I am entering does not get
executed or transformed as it would normally do if the sed script was
run directly, moreover the output files generated are all empty.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Pietro.