sed-devel

Re: Need help on how to use sed in SOLARIS and AIX platforms

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: Need help on how to use sed in SOLARIS and AIX platforms
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 02:56:55 -0600

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.

On 10/05/18 04:26 AM, Dandala, Sreekanth Reddy wrote:
Please help me how to use sed utility In Solaris and AIX platforms. In my Solaris box when I hit $sed , no result is showing. also $sed –version too no showing any results. Kindly help me is there any procedure to follow in order to work here using sed.

To clarify:
When you write "no result is showing" - do you mean nothing is printed
on the terminal, but also no errors are reported?
Or that there is an error message ?

To the best of my knowledge, both AIX and Solaris have sed installed by
default in /usr/bin/sed (it is not GNU sed, but their own implementation).

Because it is not GNU sed, using "sed --version " is an error,
and you should see the simple usage screen:

 $ /usr/bin/sed --version
  /usr/bin/sed: Not a recognized flag: -
  Usage:  sed [-n] [-u] Script [File ...]
          sed [-n] [-u] [-e Script] ... [-f Script_file] ... [File ...]

On Solaris I notice that running "/usr/bin/sed" with no parameters
runs sed successfully and indeed prints nothing - but that is not an
error - it is just incorrect usage.

Regardless,
GNU sed can be compiled on both OpenSolaris and AIX without programs.
You can download the code here
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/sed/sed-4.5.tar.xz
and compile with the usual "./configure && make".

regards,
 - assaf