sed-devel

Re: Suggestion: tests: refactor tests to new init.sh-style shell scripts

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: Suggestion: tests: refactor tests to new init.sh-style shell scripts
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 08:44:54 -0700

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Assaf Gordon <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On Apr 2, 2017, at 12:41, Assaf Gordon <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> On Apr 2, 2017, at 02:44, Jim Meyering <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> I much prefer to keep the sed
>>> invocation, script, inputs and outputs near one another in the same
>>> file, at least when they are not too large. What do you think?
>>
>> Alternatively I already have a version where there's one shell-based script
>> for each test (and it includes the input +program + expected output) -
>> for the old-style test it might be simply than conversion to perl.
>
> For completeness, this draft patch merges the sed/inp/good files
> into one shell script (except few extremely large cases).

Thanks.
What do you think about using the perl-based framework for any test
whose program, input and output are best-suited or sufficiently small?
E.g., auto-generating variants of I/O pairs is much
easier/efficient/portable with perl.

For the others, I could go either way (sh or perl), but prefer the
practice of keeping each test and its data in the same file, unless
there's a good reason to separate them, as  there may well be for some
of the large inputs.