sed-devel

Re: Errors in Manual 4.3

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: Errors in Manual 4.3
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 23:38:30 -0500

Hello,

> On Feb 9, 2017, at 11:23, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
> Did you mean for this to go to bug-sed instead of help-debbugs?

Eric,
Thanks for catching that. I'm moving the discussion to address@hidden .

> On 02/09/2017 08:05 AM, bamber ward wrote:
>> manual 4.3

David,

Thanks for the report.
The first issue you've listed was fixed just few days ago:
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/sed.git/commit/?id=755e9434c047863b702b
But this was after the most recent release of sed-4.4, so it
is not yet visible on sed's website.

You've listed some other issues, and added:
> I think that the descriptions of some of the commands leaves out essential
> details.
> For example:
> Is it legal to follow label with a space. ( yes)
> Should r and w be followed by a space ( I always put one)
> Should w  be the last flag to s ( yes)
> I don't like the command overview. I would prefer the full description of
> each command in one place.

This is good feedback, and we welcome patches and improvements.

The best way to send such suggestions is to follow the instructions here:
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/sed.git/tree/README-hacking
This will enable us to quickly update the manual.

Alternatively,
The source code for sed's PDF/HTML manual is this file:
 http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/sed.git/tree/doc/sed.texi

If you could point us to specific line numbers you think
are incorrect or could be improved, this will also help
us fix them.

regards,
 -assaf