savannah-i18n

Re: [Savannah-i18n] es_Es.po: First draft ready

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-i18n] es_Es.po: First draft ready
Date: 01 Jul 2003 23:00:18 +0200

Alfonso Acosta <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> Hi:
>
> I didn't know the existance of this list a few days
> ago so I posted my questions regarding the spanish
> translation to savannah-dev, sorry for the
> crossposting.

This list exists only since a few days. But normally, a mail was sent
to you by mailman to tell you about this new list.

> I've just finished the first draft (which is attached to this
> message). I think it isn't ready to use, so someone (probably me)
> should revise it. Please, bear in mind I'm not a professional
> translator nor a native english speaker so, although I tried my
> best, I could have commited basic errors.

Proofreading would be welcome, if someone is good in spanish.

If you have any doubt about an English string, post a message here and
people here will try to make things clear.

> I've just finished the first draft (which is attached
> to this message). I think it isn't ready to use, so
> someone (probably me) should revise it. Please, bear
> in mind I'm not a professional translator nor a native
> english speaker so, although I tried my best, I could
> have commited basic errors.
>
> Now I have some questions:
>
> 1) Can someone check wether the file is well formated?
> 'make refresh-po' worked just fine, but I'm not sure
> if the header is ok (license, copyright notice and all
> that stuff).

Seems ok to me.

> 2) I'm not sure if the translation is valid for other
> spanish-speaking countries apart from Spain, thats why I named it
> es_ES.po instead of just es.po.

You made the good decision.

> Someone should check that out.

If someone can do it, it would be nice, indeed.

> 3) What should I do to start testing the translation?  I copied the
> file to the po directory and typed 'make refresh-po' but my browser,
> even if it's configured with es_ES as first locale, showed pages
> untranslated.  It's quite important to begin testing the translation
> because I found lots of 'context dependent' problems (I left some
> phrases untranslated due to that), which, for sure, should be fixed
> by seeing the translation in action.

* First, po files must be installed.
It means that your file must be in savannah/po, and then in this
directory, you should type
        make update-po
        make
        make install (as root probably)

If it says that no Makefile is here, type
        cd .. && ./configure

* On the server, the es locale should be supported (dpkg-reconfigure
locales with Debian).

* savannah php code should be aware of this translation availability,
check and modify savannah/frontend/php/include/i18n.php

Once you are happy with your translation, would you like to be able
to put in the Savannah CVS by yourself? If you plan to get it
up-to-date in the future, it can be easier for both of us to grant you
write access to the CVS for this specific purpose.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: