reproduce-devel

[task #16052] Only Lzip in basic, other compression software in high-lev

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #16052] Only Lzip in basic, other compression software in high-level
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 07:08:47 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #2, task #16052 (project reproduce):

Another important point before thinking of doing this: we should also check
which basic (and high-level) programs link with the libraries of these tools
(except for zip/unzip and gzip, the rest also install libraries, and I have
seen them getting used, although I can't remember the software exactly).

Thanks for raising the good Boud, here are my comments:

(1) I agree with keeping Gzip in 'basic.mk', those are valid points!

(2) You don't have to "wait until it's integrated officially into zenodo and
akhlaghi.org"! You can simply un-comment the software's '*-url" variable in
'reproduce/software/config/urls.conf'. When a software's '*-url' variable is
not empty, that URL will have a higher precedence than Zenodo, or all the
other backup locations of Maneage ;-).

(3) We don't want to imitate Debian (although we learn a lot from it). The
goals/methods are different between Maneage and Debian. Since we will keep
Gzip anyway, it won't conflict with the proposed task #15739 (I'll try to
follow that discussion in due time).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16052>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/