reproduce-devel

[task #15699] Unified format for software tarballs

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15699] Unified format for software tarballs
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 05:44:13 -0400 (EDT)

Update of task #15699 (project reproduce):

        Percent Complete:                      0% => 50%
             Assigned to:                    None => makhlaghi

Follow-up Comment #6:

Thanks again Antonio, I just edited those tarballs with the '-9' option to
Lzip in Commit da4d019c9
<https://git.maneage.org/tarballs-software.git/commit/?id=da4d019c9> (of the
software tarball project). As we see there, the sizes did in fact shrink :-).

Just for future reference, we should now use this command to convert the
tarballs to our unified format (I will try to add this in the comments of the
code somewhere):

odir=ORIGINAL_DIR
suffix=ORIGINAL_SUFFIX
name=PACKAGE_NAME_VERSION

tar xf $odir/$name.tar.$suffix \
    && tar -c -Hustar --owner=root --group=root \
           -f $name.tar $name/ \
    && lzip -9 $name.tar \
    && rm -r $name/

This command currently assumes that the top-level directory within the
original tarball also has the same NAME-VERSION convention. If a tarball
doesn't have this convention, please add an extra 'mv' command before the 'tar
-c' command so it does follow that convention.

We can later generalize this into a small script to automatically parse a
directory for tarballs and make all these corrections automatically ;-).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15699>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/