reproduce-devel

[task #16052] Only Lzip in basic, other compression software in high-lev

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #16052] Only Lzip in basic, other compression software in high-level
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:44:33 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, task #16052 (project reproduce):

(1) One worry about removing _gzip_ from the _basic.mk_ system is that I have
to had to hack into the _basic.mk_ system quite a few times to analyse bugs
and propose fixes. Being able to switch to a different upstream source package
efficiently is useful. But having to gunzip the upstream archive with a host
system _gzip_ package and then _lzip_ it to make maneage happy would add extra
work to an already heavy task. This is just for debugging for my _own_
install.

(2) If I make a proposed fix to _basic.mk_ , I don't want to have to wait
until it's integrated officially into zenodo and akhlaghi.org with an lzipped
archive before I can invite _others_ to test a draft project.

(3) Long-term stability and security of Maneage basic software: it seems
pointless to me to try to imitate the large-scale teamwork, communication
structure, software pipelines, and social infrastructure of Debian. While it's
true we only have a few dozen _basic_ packages, it's still a big long-term
maintenance task to update these with the aim of long-term reproducibility,
while also keeping an eye on security. Unless we convince Debian to provide
the pristine-tar packages in .lz format so that they can be patched, we'll
need to have _gzip_ available if we want to keep task 15739 [1] as a serious
long-term option.

So I'd rather keep _gzip_ in basic.mk . I don't think that there are many
upstream source repositories that do _not_ provide a gzipped tar archive, so
bzip2, zip+unzip, and xz seem lower priority to me - I don't see a strong
argument for shifting these to _high-level.mk_ .

[1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15739

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16052>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/