[Ranger-users] previewing a certain file type with external utility (tri

From: Thoralf Dassler
Subject: [Ranger-users] previewing a certain file type with external utility (tricky case?)
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 00:08:32 +0100

Hi all,

trying to configure ranger for the first time. I have a bunch of
files, for which ranger tells me:

---File Type Classification---
SMTP mail, ASCII text

or

---File Type Classification---
SMTP mail, ASCII text, with very long lines

The file name of these is just an integer number, N (1, 2, 3, 4,
..., 219, ...), without a file extension.

On the command line (not running ranger) I use a utility, which
takes N as an argument: 'show N'. This displays the content of
N in a formatted way ('formatted' means: only display
certain parts of the file contents, and filter out other parts).

I'd like ranger to use 'show N' as auto-preview for these files.
I suspect I'd have to do four things within ranger's config
files:

1) have a condition for 'SMTP mail ASCII text' (with or without
very long lines)
2) while running ranger: for the condition, pick N to which I
navigate
3) pass N as an argument to 'show'
4) make ranger do 'show N'

Hope someone can help.