Re: [Ranger-users] Preview images on a Mac

From: niku
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Preview images on a Mac
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 09:10:42 +0530

>    - *Niku: **Did you try `w3m http://www.google.com', and did you find
>    images on that page?*
>       - *Andy: *Trying w3m http://www.google.com does not* *show images. It
>       opens the page in the terminal and I can navigate using the text browser
>       just fine.

You have established that the problem is with w3m itself, and not with
ranger+w3m.

>       - *Niku:* *...any one of three libraries is required for rendering
>    images*
>       - *Andy: *I have installed:
>          - imlib 1.9.15
>          - imlib2 1.4.5
>          - gdk-pixbuf 0.22.0
>          - gdk-pixbuf2 2.28.2
>          - gtk2 2.24.19
>          - I tried to install libungif 4.1.4 but MacPorts states that it
>          has been superseded by giflib. I installed giflib 4.2.1.
>          - I even reinstalled w3m with imlib2 support and it opened images
>          in feh. Uninstalling and reinstalling w3m with gtk2 support
> and it again
>          opened images in feh.

Can you upload config.log (it should be present in the w3m-0.5.3
directory)?

Since you are trying to install w3m from MacPorts without making any
changes, either you are doing something wrong, or there is a bug. I am
assuming that none of us have Mac, as your query about anyone with a
working ranger-with-image-previews on Mac brought no reply. Your best
bet would be the following, in the given order:

(i) MacPorts irc channel.
    -- unlikely to result in a reply, but should be tried!
(ii) _MacPorts Users_ list.
    -- a mail to this should hopefully bring replies of what others
    did to get w3m display inline images.
(iii) File a bug in the bug-tracker.
    -- this should at least bring the issue to the attention of the
    package maintainer.
http://www.macports.org/contact.php

In (ii) and (iii) above, please make the report as detailed as
possible. In particular, make sure that these are present:
(i) the above quoted texts (both), i.e., (a) after a vanilla install
w3m does not display inbuilt images on webpages, (b) the image
libraries you tried.
(iii) a copy of the config.log file.
(iii) versions of all relevant programs, and in particular, output of
`w3m -version'.

You obviously need not mention ranger in the above! After you can get
w3m to display inline images, do report whether ranger can display
images. If ranger can still not display images, we would be in a much
better position to help.