Re: [Ranger-users] Preview images on a Mac

From: niku
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Preview images on a Mac
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:57:16 +0530

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:52:35PM -0500, Andy Maloney wrote:

> > 1) Is w3mimgdisplay installed properly? Does the following command
> > work? The `ext_image_viewer = off' option forces w3m to use
> > w3mimgdisplay.
> > w3m -o 'ext_image_viewer=off' /path/to/image.jpg
> >

> Executing the above from a Mac terminal opens X11 and shows me the image in
> an ImageMagick window. It does the same for xterm and urxvt.
>

> > 2) Open a terminal and type '/opt/local/libex/w3m/w3mimgdisplay'
> > (without the quotes), and then press Return. What happens? Does
> > w3mimgdisplay exit immediately?
> >

> Well, I get an error saying the command was not found but I'm not executing
> anything. Navigating to the w3m folder shows that w2mimgdisplay does exist
> there.

As far as I understand, the 1st says that w3mimgpreview is not working
(regardless of ranger). To confirm, try this too: if you do
`w3m http://www.google.com' on the command line, do you see inline images
in the resulting page? (You probably do not.)

The 2nd suggests a solution: try changing the library’s permission to
something suitable. My permissions:

address@hidden:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/w3m/w3mimgdisplay
-rwxr-sr-x 1 root video 26560 May 22  2012 /usr/lib/w3m/w3mimgdisplay

Note that `s' is *critical*; and I am in the `video' group. (Users not
in the `video' group on my system cannot use w3mimgpreview.)

> having previews in the terminal is a must for me.
You can surely get it to work if you persevere!

~niku