Re: [Ranger-users] Preview images on a Mac

From: Andy Maloney
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Preview images on a Mac
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 19:40:23 -0500

I tried urxvt and got an "Error [2] No such file or directory" (which is the same error on the Mac terminal) when I selected an image. I've tried the X11 xterm that came with my original OS 10.6 and the one on MacPorts and none seem to work. So, it looks like I'm missing something. Any other suggestions on what to investigate?

Has anyone else gotten preview to work on a Mac?

Thanks again for the help!

Andy_

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Roman Z. <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 03:24:52AM -0500, Andy Maloney wrote:
>    - modified ranger/ext/img_display.py line 16 to W3MIMGDISPLAY_PATH =
>    '/opt/local/libex/w3m/w3mimgdisplay' to point to where my w3mingdisplay is.

Since ranger 1.6.1 you can just set the environment variable
W3MIMGDISPLAY_PATH in your shell's config file and you don't have to
change the source code.

> I tried opening an image with w3m in the mac terminal—settings
> xterm-256color—and it opened a jpg in a new window with ImageMagick in X11.
> It balked when I tried to open a .tif file though. I have tiff 4.0.3
> installed.

w3m can also display images *inside* the terminal, without a separate
imagemagick window.  If it can't, then either your terminal doesn't
support it or you didn't install all necessary parts.  Looks like it's
the former though, so I would try installing xterm and try with that.

> I'd like to use ranger to preview image files (specifically .tif files) if
> at all possible and any recommendations on how to do this would be greatly
> appreciated.

previewing TIF files in ranger works for me.  I got w3m 0.5.3,
ranger 1.6.1, urxvt 9.18 (that's the terminal, fyi)

hut