Re: [Ranger-users] ranger infrastructure

From: Roman Z.
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] ranger infrastructure
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 03:08:28 +0200

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 06:01:08PM +0100, Joshua Landau wrote:
> > Decent idea (until someone writes Popen("rm -rf /") in their plugins :D)
> > I'll consider this once some plugin exist.
>
> No, see, no-one's going to write plugins until there's plug-in
> compatibility. If you've a package manager, that'll take the role of
> turning commands, themes and hacks into plugins. This needs to be done
> first, I think. That said, the package manager doesn't need to be built in
> - it's a plugin on Sublime Text and I'd be totally happy with it being a
> plugin for Ranger too.

That may be so, but I refuse to work on anything to promote plugin-
writing until I see some people actually making good use of that
feature.  If only to get a confirmation that the current plugin system
is usable and preferable to simply hacking the code and making a branch.

See, every time someone announced a plugin, it turned into a branch
instead, which later got merged into master.  And to be honest, that's
how I prefer it.

Roman