Re: [Ranger-users] ranger infrastructure

From: Miodrag Milic
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] ranger infrastructure
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 18:09:31 +0200

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Roman Z. <address@hidden> wrote:
> Perhaps plugins could be maintained just the way they are done on redmine
> itself: http://www.redmine.org/plugins. Plugins itself are on github and
> portal serves for discovery.

Decent idea (until someone writes Popen("rm -rf /") in their plugins :D)
I'll consider this once some plugin exist.

That can happen no matter what. Are you going to check each and every plugin for "rm -rf /" in it ? Is it actually doable ? I guess not, given the appropriate level of obfuscation, the only way would be to monitor it on the system level (i.e. apparmor etc.)

About plugins in Redmine, the one can even make redmine wiki access/search from console as wiki is REST interfaced, so few curl calls and some parsing would suffice.

The bad thing in combo Redmine + OSQA is that you have to administer/install both of them while savanah is provided for free. On the other hand if you don't require fancy plugins, there are probably some free hosting solutions (quick search = https://www.hostedredmine.com/)

>Also looks like a proprietary, commercial service to me, probably gonna
>be bought by google in a year or two. D=

Indeed, I would stay away from anything that you can't install on your own box. Google or not, it doesn't matter, their agenda is not compatible with this, as case with Google Reader clearly shows.