[Ranger-users] ranger infrastructure

From: Roman Z.
Subject: [Ranger-users] ranger infrastructure
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:56:07 +0200

Hello ranger users,

Instead of just talking about the idea of a forum, let's talk about the
infrastructure in general.  The network of services that are related to
ranger in some way is:

ranger
 |-- Savannah: https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/ranger
 |   |-- Homepage: http://www.nongnu.org/ranger/
 |   |-- News: https://savannah.nongnu.org/news/?group=ranger
 |   |-- Issue Tracker: https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=ranger
 |   |-- git: https://savannah.nongnu.org/git/?group=ranger

 |-- Arch Linux:
 |   |-- Forum Thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=93025
 |   '-- Wiki Page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ranger

 |-- GitHub:
 |   |-- git: https://github.com/hut/ranger
 |   '-- Issue Tracker: https://github.com/hut/ranger/issues

 |-- repo.or.cz:
 |   '-- git: http://repo.or.cz/w/ranger.git

 '-- Various package maintainers

My questions:

1. Move to redmine [1]?  Most of the above can be replaced by it.
2. Can a Q/A system like [2] or [3] do the job of a bug tracker?
   Often, questions about the software are actually bug reports.
   Why not merge both systems into one?
3. What would be a good system for publishing plugins and patches?
4. What else sucks?

My current plan would be to simply install a Q/A system like [2] or [3].
If it works nicely, we can close the two bug trackers and the arch linux
forum thread and use the Q/A system instead.  The Arch Linux wiki page
would stay and GitHub would only serve as a redundant git host.

Roman

[1] http://www.redmine.org/
[2] http://www.osqa.net/
[3] http://www.question2answer.org/