Re: [Ranger-users] automount usb

From: F.
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] automount usb
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:46:36 +0100

Miodrag Milic <address@hidden> a écrit le 2013-03-18 16:29:35 +0100 :

> I will check it out. Thanks F.
> I see its replacement for udisks.
>
> I installed yesterday udisks-glue which works from the box (no
> configuration required except starting up udisks-glue as a service or on
> desktop/shell start-up).
>
> The only complaint I have so far is that it doesn't auto-unmount after
> timeout, like autofs, which means that some OSes may complain that USB
> disks have corrupted FS (unless mount option "sync" solves that, don't know
> yet). Quick glance on udevil tells me that it doesn't auto unmount too.
>
> Is there any particular reason to use udevil over udisks-glue, apart from
> lower number of dependencies which are all probably already installed on
> most systems? Both are done in C and udisks is already installed on my
> Ubuntu system as it is, AFAIK, used by Gnome for automounting.

Sorry don't know udisks-glue but for devmon, automount works like a
charm, you have lot of option (like ignoring, exect after ...).

## Good points for udevil / devmon unmount too with this options:

--unmount-removable | -r      Sync and unmount all removable drives and show
                              pop-up dialog (spacefm or zenity required)
--unmount-recent | -c         Unmount most recently mounted removable drive
--unmount-optical | -o        Unmount all optical drives (error pop-up only)
--unmount-all | -u            Same as --unmount-removable --unmount-optical
--unmount DIR|DEVICE          Unmount DEVICE or mount point DIR

A sync/flush option to prevent datalost,

An exec on unmount / exec on remove hook to post exec cool things like
notify-send ...

An impressive list of option / fs / over networks fs ... Check udevil.conf for
a clear idea of possibilities.

## For your need:

You can set a cronjob to send `devmon -s --unmount-all`, if the device is busy
udevil will not unmount it and if inactive unmount will be execute.

Or you can have a script with trigger for unmounting (like inotify to check
partition access time, user session in or out the media path ...).

Or if you can manually interact, bind keys, make ranger command ...

F.