Re: [Ranger-users] automount usb

From: Roman Z.
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] automount usb
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 17:06:37 +0100

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 04:17:57PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> And, in my opinion, ranger should'nt implement such a feature as I think that
> it's not what a file manager is designed for.

My opinion exaclty.

For what it's worth, the way I do it is manually control mounting of
devices by having fstab entries for all possible devices, and by
creating all the possible mount points, like:

for device in sd{a,b,c,d,e}{1..6}; do
    echo "/dev/$device /media/$device auto noauto,noatime,user 0 0" >>
/etc/fstab
    mkdir /media/$device
done

..and in ranger I go to /media and do a @mount on whatever device I
want to mount.  To reduce clutter in /media, one could use a ranger
plugin that hides irrelevant mount points (see attachment).

Roman