Re: [Ranger-users] ranger: how-tos or cheat-sheet

From: Joshua Landau
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] ranger: how-tos or cheat-sheet
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 19:28:40 +0000

On 25 February 2013 17:23, Roman Z. <address@hidden> wrote:
I can see that mailing lists are "different" and unintuitive if you are
used to forums, but I don't share your opinion that forums are
unconditionally better.  Mailing lists are more comfortable, can be
easily interfaced with from the console, you don't waste as much time on
meaningless discussions as on forums, the signal/noise ratio is higher.
You can read and reply offline, postponing the sending of mails until
you have a connection again.  And most importantly, nobody talks about
what shoes they are wearing today.

You've obviously not visited the Python mailing list much...

I also find forums more comfortable, just 'cause I like the rich markup. The Python mailing list has pages of truly deadly code inserts, which a single [code]* tag fixes back at the forums, for example.
I agree about the console uage and I agree about offline stuff (but who's really offline nowadays?) but *INSERT PERSONAL OPINIONS* and *PRETEND OBJECTIVISM*.

OH AND EDITS. I NEED EDITS. srsly.

But we did make a mistake IMO with the "1.6.0 on the horizon"-thread, we
should have changed the subject line when we branched off into different
topics.

That sort of stuff I'm really bad at. I prefer how it's done in forums, IMHO.

> When you see stuff like this
>
> with 61 pages, you know that you need separate forum.

That thread is a horrible mess, I agree.  I wish they came here instead,
but I can't force them to.  For now, I removed the link to the thread
from ranger's website, let's see what happens.

But in the same light, a forum has a lot lower investment requirements than a mailing list. Plus, archives are just as nice as new threads.

You'll probably not convince many to move away from their cozy GUI forum, despite it being Arch's. Hence, it's still worth considereing a forum.

* [/code]