Re: [Ranger-users] ranger 1.6.0 on the horizon

From: Miodrag Milic
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] ranger 1.6.0 on the horizon
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 20:12:39 +0100

Nice example with binds and full RE. Clearly +1 for RE implementation.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Michishige Kaito <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:03:21AM +0100, Miodrag Milic wrote:
> >Since these commands are all very similar, maybe it's a good thing to
> add flags like in the :shell command
> Agree, there should be only one.
>
> OK, Joshua is probably right that RegEx is overkill. But, the elephant is
> already in the room and performance is not in question, so whatever type of
> implemenation is done is not important for the end user. The one that gives
> the most extensiblity and the least code should be hence prefered one,
> hence the RegEx in the first place. Not to mention that people expect RE
> everywhere now days.
>
> Also, my experience with open source users is that people almost certainly
> find good uses for stuff you didn't think of, and somebody will eventually
> ask for full RE in travel. I know it happened before on Total Commander
> forum (which does have lots of users so this issue popped up fast) and
> author of the plugin solved the problem with 3 modes as described. That is
> a fact and Joshuas observations are theoreticall.
>
> But as long as it works as described, I really think any solution will
> suffice.

I can absolutely see a simplified pattern system working well,
especially if we *always* type it in on the fly. But what prevents me
from creating binds to often used patterns? I can see full blown
regexp being useful there. As an experienced programmer, I'm fairly
comfortable with regexp anyway, so at least the simpler ones I can see
myself typing in right at the prompt.

I think the only two realistic options here are dmenu-style token
matching, and proper PCRE.

--
Michishige Kaito

BOFH excuse #158: