[Ranger-users] image preview with w3mimgdisplay

From: Emanuel Guével
Subject: [Ranger-users] image preview with w3mimgdisplay
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 02:32:45 +0100

Hi,

I made some progress recently concerning the ability to preview image
files using w3mimgdisplay in ranger.
You can get my code at my GitHub page [1] (enable image preview by
entering 'set preview_images true' at ranger command prompt).

Although the image preview works now, there are some limitations /
nasty effects:
  - a full redraw is done to clear the previously displayed image,
making the display to blink briefly
  - you have to wait the image drawing to be finished before
continuing browsing (scrolling)
  - when displaying larger preview (i), the first column is not drawn
immediately (I have no idea of what is causing this)

Also, my changes do not fit well in current preview code. I do not
know how to implement that elegantly without being intrusive. Any clue
to improve them will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

[1] https://github.com/PotatoesMaster/ranger/tree/img-preview