Re: [Ranger-users] preview .txt-files?

From: Ludo Beckers
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] preview .txt-files?
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 14:39:39 +0100

Preview works only with htm, pdf and images, not on .txt
and yes, highlight is installed (3.8-2)

Thanks for the tip about <<"export EDITOR=gvim" in bashrc.
I'll check out "man ranger" too.

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Roman Z. <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> When I hit enter standing on a txt-file it opens with vim, but the
>>> preview column doesn't work for these files.

Works for me.  Does it fail on *every* text file?  It would also be good
to know whether or not you got the program "highlight" installed or not?

>>> Also, is it ok to change all "vim" entries in ranger configuration files
>>> to "gvim"? (still getting my feet wet here ;-))

Sounds harmless to me

>> to use gvim just set EDITOR=gvim in your bashrc

I think that you need to write "export EDITOR=gvim" in bashrc to set the
editor, not simply "EDITOR=gvim", but I may be wrong.

> I don't see any editor mentioned here:

Why whould an editor be mentioned in the script that generates previews?
The variable $EDITOR is used in the file launcher configuration file,
namely "rifle.conf" (in ranger-git) or "apps.py" (in ranger-stable).  If
you look at the man page in the section "FILES", there is a list of all
config files and what they do.

Roman

--
Ludo