Re: [Ranger-users] How to make preview wrap long lines?

From: Roman Z.
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] How to make preview wrap long lines?
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:25:37 +0200

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:46:30PM -0700, epeyys wrote:
> I have struggled for a day and a night trying to make preview (pager) wrap
> long lines.  From "Dependencies" section under http://nongnu.org/ranger, I
> got an impression that Ranger uses "less" for pager - "A pager (<a>less</a>
> by default)", but having changed the following lines inside
> $HOME/.config/ranger/apps.py to add an "N" after "R", which will make "less"
> display line number, has made no difference.
> def app_pager(self, c):
>   return 'less', '-R', c
>
> By looking around codes under /usr/share/pyshared/ranger/, I guess Ranger
> default uses an embedded pager.  So my question is how I can turn on wrap
> inside this default pager.
>
> There are two screenshots on Ranger's main websites, one shows wrap-enabled,
> one doesn't.
> No wrap: http://nongnu.org/ranger/screenshots/screenshot0.png
> Has wrap:
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases-noredirect/ranger/screenshot2.png

This screenshot has no word wrapping.

> I am using Ubuntu 12.04, and Ranger version is "ranger 1.5.2 (stable)".
> Thank everyone for this great product.

You can wrap words by using scope.sh ("man ranger" and search for "scope").
A command like

    fmt -s -w "$width"

does word wrapping, so you can simply pipe the text through it.  If you
got the program "highlight", for example, then just replace the line

  highlight --out-format=ansi "$path" | head -n $maxln

with

  highlight --out-format=ansi "$path" | head -n $maxln | fmt -s -w "$width"

Regards,
hut