Re: [Ranger-users] the "preview" branch

From: Roman Z.
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] the "preview" branch
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 22:30:38 +0200

> An acceptable amount of time would be more like 0.02 seconds :).
> I really value the ability to fluently move through the list of files
> when holding the j key.  That's why there is a (pseudo parallel) loader
> which loads directories in the background.  I want to utilize it for
> image previews too, but I don't know just how, yet.
>
> As I was typing, I remembered the "cp" branch, which copies files in
> another cp/mv process rather than with python shutils, while still being
> integrated in the loader/taskview/stuff.  Now I just have to use scope.sh
> instead of cp, save the output to some cache, and display it once it's
> loaded.  Sounds simple now, why didn't I do it 3 months ago?

Okay, this is implemented now in the branch "cp+preview".  I merged cp
into it since I needed parts of the cp branch anyway.

Take a look if you wish; it supports ascii previews but with much less
delay (at least for me).

A bunch of cases are *not* handled yet:
1. resizing of ranger, the image is generated only once
2. the columns don't collapse if there is no preview
3. if you stop loading a preview (you can do that by pressing e.g. ^C
or "wdd"), the image is never loaded.
4. I didn't find number 4 yet but it exists

So... gotta work more.