[Ranger-users] the "preview" branch

From: David Barnett
Subject: [Ranger-users] the "preview" branch
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 13:13:24 -0400

I had some questions about the "preview" branch, I asked Roman on github and am continuing the discussion here.

>> So, is it a bug that I got a text dump of images and archives when preview_script wasn't configured?
> Well, without a preview_script, it just shows the raw data which is useless to most people and is hidden in ranger-master.
Right, what I was asking was if the preview settings in ranger/fsobject/file.py should maybe be orthogonal to the preview_script setting in options.py, so you didn't have to edit both to switch between no preview and a script-generated preview. I'm not sure how much in flux those settings are, though.

>> Also, I couldn't find anything that was noticeably slow on my machine. Was it a certain filetype in particular for you, or did it just slow everything down?
> What's slow is img2txt. It takes over a second to generate previews of medium-sized images. Is it just because of my slow computer? (1,6ghz intel atom) =[
It's all pretty much instantaneous for me, but admittedly I'm on a pretty high-end laptop (ThinkPad T500, Core 2 Duo @ 2.80GHz, 4GB RAM). I went looking for huge images to test it with: a 4.4M JPG took 0.2 sec, and a 6.4M JPG just returned immediately with a "failed to load" message. I'm using caca-utils 0.99.beta16-3 installed through Ubuntu. Weird...

And BTW, I'm not trying to pressure you to get the image previews working. It's just a curiosity to me.

David