Re: [Ranger-users] Re: need %d (or maybe %D), like mc

From: Sitaram Chamarty
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Re: need %d (or maybe %D), like mc
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 22:43:49 +0530

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Roman Z. <address@hidden> wrote:
>> in ranger, I would consider the notional "other side" to be wherever
>> you last  yanked (yy or dd).
>
> Ranger has no "other side" so it's not clear what should be the
> equivalent of the "other side" in ranger.  It could be the backtick
> bookmark, the tab right of the current one, etc.

erm...

> Of course it may save some typing if you can refer to the directory
> where you yanked something with a macro, but I wouldn't call it %D.
> Maybe %C or something.

that is *exactly* what I meant by "other side" ("wherever you last yanked").

Of course the exact names are your choice :)

>> > I can't think of any use for %d, but I can add it anyway for the sake of
>>
>> easy -- I use "diff -ur %d %D | less" all the time in mc, where I
>> really want to diff two directories.  Or people may want to do an
>> rsync, or something else...
>
> Your mc-command in ranger:
> 1. Navigate to %D
> 2. Type hyy
> 3. Navigate to %d
> 4. Type !p!diff -ur %d %c
> (the p! pipes the output into a pager, "less" by default)
>
> Not as straight-forward as in MC, but well, as I already mentioned,
> ranger works differently than the 2-pane-fms and I hesitate to add
> 2-pane-logic to it.

no this is quite fine, really.  I *don't* want ranger to become
*visually* 2 pane, even though it might *sound* like I'm asking for
that.  I just want to be able to refer to some "other side" sanely and
predictably, and %c does that perfectly well.

Thanks.

By the way, in your new help text:

        %f      the highlighted file
        %s      the selected files
        %t      all tagged files in the current directory
        %c      all currently copied/cut files

yoy may want to say %s is "the selected files in the current
directory" and %c is "the full paths of all currently copied/cut
files" to make things clear.  It will help to bring out what pieces
are always going to be in the current dir (the first 3) and what need
no be in currdir (the 4th one)

Thanks again; this just gets better and better...

Sitaram