Re: [Ranger-users] Re: need %d (or maybe %D), like mc

From: Sitaram Chamarty
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Re: need %d (or maybe %D), like mc
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 05:50:12 +0530

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Roman Z. <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 08:30:28PM +0530, Sitaram Chamarty wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Sitaram Chamarty <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ranger doesn't have two panes, so I don't think you can apply the same
> logic as in mc/vifm.  But sometimes it is indeed necessary to get files

in ranger, I would consider the notional "other side" to be wherever
you last  yanked (yy or dd).

> from other directories, for example for diffing, as you said.
> By simply adding %c to get all copied/cut files, (which makes sense
> anyway,) this use case should be covered.  Yank the first file, move to
> the second, run "diff %c %f".

sounds fine, for one file, assuming %c includes the fullpath, since it
would now be in a different directory than $PWD when I move here.  But
it wouldn't work so well when I want to  check all the files in dirA
against corresponding ones in dirB.

This leads to:

> I can't think of any use for %d, but I can add it anyway for the sake of

easy -- I use "diff -ur %d %D | less" all the time in mc, where I
really want to diff two directories.  Or people may want to do an
rsync, or something else...

> completeness, along with %t for all tagged files (though it seems like
> mc uses the term "tagged file" differently...)

again, %s as it is now, and %S for files selected on the other side is
the correct analogy. (mc's "tagged" is your "selected".  Your "tagged"
doesnt have an mc eqvt; thats a bonus here, especially the fact that
the tags are persistent.  I would not see those as being required in
any such commands but you could probably allow %t for completeness --
upto you)

Thanks,

Sitaram