Re: Performance Discrepancies and Limitations in Local Storage IOPS Test

From: Alberto Garcia
Subject: Re: Performance Discrepancies and Limitations in Local Storage IOPS Testing
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 12:26:57 +0000

On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 12:29:43PM +0200, Jan Wasilewski wrote:
> Ultimately, I discovered that the performance is significantly
> enhanced when the hypervisor is deployed on top of Ubuntu
> 22.04LTS. Under this setup, I was able to achieve around 100,000
> IOPS during my fio tests [1][2]. In contrast, conducting a similar
> test with the hypervisor deployed on Ubuntu 20.04LTS yielded
> significantly lower results, averaging around 20,000 IOPS [3][4].

That's quite a difference. How are you storing the virtual disks? Is
it qcow2 files? How are they created (i.e. what options are you
using?), what runtime options -if any- are you using with them (e.g.
l2-cache-size)?

Did you try to build QEMU 6.2 in Ubuntu 20.04 and see what happens
with the IOPS?

Berto