Re: qemu-system-x86 dependencies

From: Paul Menzel
Subject: Re: qemu-system-x86 dependencies
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 08:29:46 +0200

Dear Fourhundred,

Am 17.08.23 um 07:10 schrieb Fourhundred Thecat:
 > On 2023-08-16 15:02, Fourhundred Thecat wrote:
 > On 2023-08-16 14:52, Michael Tokarev wrote:
16.08.2023 15:37, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé пишет:
Cc'ing Michael

why does qemu depend on sound and gstreamer and wayland libraries?
After all, i am just trying to run VMs on my hypervisor.

If I remember correctly, my previous installation on Debian 10,
qemu-system-x86 had no such dependencies.

Seems to me like trying to install openssh-server, but it needs full
gnome environment libraries.

sorry if my question offended people.

Perhaps there is a good reason for these dependencies, which i don't see?

Also, I am told that Arch has split all these into separate packages:

https://archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&repo=Extra&q=qemu&maintainer=&flagged=

So it looks like my original question might be Debian specific?

Please tell us, how you actually build QEMU (in the past). Building QEMU from upstream sources and configuring it with minimal options, why do the dependencies from the Debian package matter at all?

Kind regards,

Paul