Re: Invalid accelerator kvm / error: kvm run failed Function not impleme

From: Mario Marietto
Subject: Re: Invalid accelerator kvm / error: kvm run failed Function not implemented ERRORS trying to virtualize a guest OS on the ARM Chromebook running with a relatively recent kernel version and KVM enabled
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 13:18:30 +0200

I know. I've been working on this project since 1 year ago. But I'm stimulated by the "intellectual" challenge and even because old hardware should not be thrown away only because it is old. If it is still useful,it could be reused. The ARM chromebook in my opinion has been a nice toy to play with. Even today it gave me some satisfaction. And you know,I'm very poor. I can't buy new hardware. I really would like to buy a new arm64 laptop like the pine64,but I can't spend the money. Anyway,can you tell me where is the branch 5.1 for the qemu source code for armhf ? 5.1 should still have the support for kvm. I've also been unlucky because devuan 4 has 5.2 by default. It's only one minor version than 5.1. And anyway,if the version was good, I could not enjoy myself with this new challenge.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 12:48 PM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 at 11:34, Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com> wrote:

> ok. I will recompile a qemu version lower than 5.2. I've asked all around and someone says that I should use 5.1,someone else 4.9. Which version should I use ? And,please can you point me to a good tutorial that can teach me the procedure to recompile it ? I might find it by myself,but what I need is the place where I should grab the source code of qemu for armhf. I also need the compilation parameters :) thanks...

This is all ancient history which I can't remember.
You might even find that QEMUs that old don't compile
any more, depending on how new your userspace is.
You can get older QEMUs either by source tarball from
the QEMU project website or by checking out the appropriate
git tag.

You're trying to do something which is basically
"travel back in time and use decade old hardware and
decade old software to do something that is going to
perform terribly and is no longer supported because
it's just not worth it". There are not really going to
be any tutorials or help for this -- if you want to
do it you get to find out all the places where stuff
doesn't quite work the way it used to and you need to
fix or adjust them.

Mario.