GPU passthrough memory bandwidth performance degration

From: Jiatong Shen
Subject: GPU passthrough memory bandwidth performance degration
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 09:58:21 +0800

Hello community experts,

  I am testing a passtrhough gpu performance by measuring device to host & host to device memory copy bandwidth. The tested GPU is nvidia t4. The benchmarking script I am using is https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/how-optimize-data-transfers-cuda-cc/.

On the baremetal machine, the result is
image.png
in the virtual machine, the result is,

image.png

My question is what could be the reason for the degradation and is there anything I can do to improve it? Thank you very much for the help.
--

Best Regards,

Jiatong Shen