Re: os x resolution only 800x600

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: os x resolution only 800x600
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 12:57:35 +0000

On 27/01/2022 11:30, Howard Spoelstra wrote:

Hi,

For qemu-system-ppc setting e.g. -g 1024x768x32 only affects the initial size of the openbios window. To set the resolution in the guest, use the appropriate tool inside the guest. I believe the available resolutions for the guest are hard-coded in the qemu_vga.ndrv in the pc-bios folder.

Actually that's not true. The resolutions for the guest are parsed from the EDID blob that QEMU generates dynamically for its VGA device. I presume that this information is based upon display information retrieved from the host.

If, for some reason, the NDRV is unable to read the EDID blob then it will fallback to the old set of hardcoded resolutions that were used before EDID support was added which are:

    640 x 480
    800 x 600
   1024 x 768
   1280 x 1024
   1600 x 1200
   1920 x 1080
   1920 x 1200

Note that it is possible to specify a preferred resolution for EDID with -device VGA,xres=1234,yres=567 which currently isn't supported, mainly as there needs to be some investigative work done to understand how MacOS will handle the geometry changing between boots.

See screenshot for available resolutions.
image.png

From that list I'd say the generation and parsing of the EDID blob by the NDRV is working fine :)

ATB,

Mark.