Re: [qemu-arm-static] timer_delete issue from Qemu 5.0.0 onwards

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [qemu-arm-static] timer_delete issue from Qemu 5.0.0 onwards
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 14:18:36 +0100

On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 at 13:55, Jon Alduan <jon.alduan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> thank you for your file and information. And I get the same wrong behavior
> (see below). Also with the dynamic qemu-arm version 7.0.50.
> What does this mean? Do you see anything which could be different between our
> test environments? Kernel too new?
> I am feeling frustrated. I have no more ideas, except that in fact, it is a
> bug in qemu. But if it cannot be reproduced on your side...

I guess it could be down to behaviour of the host kernel. What
kernel are you running? Here I'm running an ubuntu 20.04 kernel:
5.4.0-122-generic #138-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 22 15:00:31 UTC 2022 x86_64

There definitely are some bugs in our timer handling, e.g. there's
a fixme comment about possible races if multiple threads try
to create a timer at the same time, but I'm having trouble
seeing how that would result in the behaviour you see -- in this
test case all the timers are created and deleted only by thread 1.

thanks
-- PMM