Re: Raspberry Pi?

From: Marc Zyngier
Subject: Re: Raspberry Pi?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 13:48:23 +0000

On 2022-01-26 02:59, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé via wrote:
Hi,

On 26/1/22 00:59, Kenneth Adam Miller wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to emulate something on a pi so that I don't have to pay as high of a translation penalty since the guest and host will share the same arch. I'm finding that on some forums that people have been having trouble getting QEMU to run on raspberry pi. The posts are kind of old, in 2019.

Does anyone know if this has been addressed since then?

What you asks is if you can run an Aarch64 guest (virt machine?) on a
Raspi4 host, is that right? IIRC it should work straight away using
"-machine virt,gic-version=host". Cc'ing qemu-arm@ list to verify.

Note that only a RPi-4 will provide any sort of performance, assuming
the OP wants to use KVM as the acceleration backend.

The original RPi has no support for virtualisation (ARM 1176), and
the two following models are deprived of a GIC, making them a bit
useless (we have *some* support code in KVM, but I'm pretty sure it
has bitrot by now).

        M.