phptest-devel

[Phptest-devel] Re: doc updates

From: dj resonance
Subject: [Phptest-devel] Re: doc updates
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 08:28:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi John,

The html files are generated automatically by a DSSSL
stylesheet convertor called openjade.  They're written
in SGML using the docbook DTD with emacs.  The CVS
instructions were correct, it's supposed to be co
phptest and not cophptest.  As for the INSERT, UPDATE,
and DELETE being on seperate lines, that's a
limitation of docbook that I haven't figured out how
to get around yet.  If you look in CVS, you'll see a
file called phptest.sgml in the docs directory.  This
is the master documentation file.  If you take a look
at it in a text editor, you'll see the structure looks
similar to html tags, so you should be able to make
modifications to that file directly in the future
(just be sure not to add any html tags since they have
no meaning with docbook)

Thanks,
Brandon

Two of the downloaded doc files, x187.htm and
x206.htm, were x191.htm and
x210.htm <br>
respectively on the online version.&nbsp; I noticed
that the x210.htm
file had two additional small<br>
paragraphs at the end.&nbsp; So, that means the
corrections I did in
x187.htm (one word)<br>
and x206.htm (several misspelled words, etc.) were
probably a waste of
time, assuming<br>
that I corrected &quot;downlevel&quot; files.<br>
The other two downloaded files, t12.htm (Introduction)
and x24.htm
(Installation), had the same<br>
file names as the online version.&nbsp; Far and away,
I made the most
changes to x24.htm (Installation),<br>
and there were a few.&nbsp; I made some text additions
and adjusted
punctuation, spelling, and text <br>
alignment, etc.<br>
Here's some examples from the Installation file
(x24.htm):<br>
Online version:<br>
turned on. I put
the emphasis on register_globals because it's a
question I get asked
alot. I'm in the process of rewriting the code to not
require
register_globals, but that's a ways off for now. <br>
register_globals turned on. I
put the emphasis on register_globals because it's a
question I get asked
alot. I'm in the process of rewriting the code to not
require
register_globals, but that's a ways off for now. Note:
With the release
of PHP 4.2.0 register_globals is now defaulted to
&quot;Off&quot;. This
means you must edit the php.ini file to:
register_globals = On <br>
size=3>*******************************<br>
Online version:<br>
size=2>cvs<br>
   &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
-d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/phptest<br>
   &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; login<br>
cvs -z3<br>
   &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
-d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/phptest
co<br>
   &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; phptest<br>
-d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/phptest
login<br>
cvs -z3
-d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/phptest
cophptest<br>
(is there supposed to be a space between
&quot;co&quot; and
&quot;phptest&quot;? or is it cophptest?)<br>
size=3>********************************<br>
Online version:<br>
accessing the
database. It's a good idea to limit this user's grants
to <br>
size=2>INSERT,<br>
      DELETE,<br>
size=2>UPDATE<br>
accessing the
database. It's a good idea to limit this user's grants
to: <br>
size=2>INSERT, DELETE, and
UPDATE<br>
size=3>**********************************<br>
As you can see by examing the x24.htm file in the zip
I attached, and
comparing it with the online version,<br>
there were a few places that needed alignment, where
statements that
looked like they should be all on <br>
one line, were broken into multiple lines.<br>
Hopefully, you can use these changes even though I
updated them with an
html editor and not with the <br>
tool they were apparently created with.&nbsp; Of
course, the important
question is will all the adjustments be<br>
rendered &quot;obsolete&quot; when the x24.htm file is
updated again with
the tool you use for this?<br>
If this exercise was largely a waste of time in the
way I did it, let me
know for future reference.&nbsp; It<br>
didn't take me all that long, and I think I caught
most of the
stuff.&nbsp; So, if nothing else, you could run<br>
a diff on the files and see what was changed.<br>
thanks,<br>
John<br>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/zip name=0.6.0 doc
changes.zip; x-mac-type=705A4950;
x-mac-creator=705A4950